Thursday, December 14, 2017

Psych Eval - Check! Ending year on HIGH note!

I had my bariatric surgery psych eval on Monday and I actually enjoyed it.  I did a lot of talking, and 2 hours simply flew by.  I told her a lot about my earliest memories of food-shaming by my mother, grandmother, etc. as well as the issues my own mother had...my very skinny cousin who my mother put me in "competition" with all my life, the obesity in my own family, on maternal and paternal side, my marriages, including the horrible first marriage that I stayed in for about 12 1/2 years too long. It started out that she would ask me questions and I'd respond, but I did so much talking that I covered just about every question she had planned on asking before I even stopped for breath. LOL  I also had a 344 question assessment that I completed online.  The therapist said results would probably be in a week or two, but that she is sure I'm a good candidate for WLS as I am aware of my disordered eating, and have a plan (therapy) to deal with it while I'm preparing for the surgery. 

And I DO have a plan!  I found a therapist here in town who  specializes in eating disorders and is in my insurance network.  Her website stated that she wasn't accepting new patients and to check in again after the first of the year, but I sent her an email, telling her what I'm doing (preparing for surgery) and to please let me know if she will be accepting new patients so I can make an appointment.  She emailed me back, and I am seeing her for the first time on the 27th!  I'm really looking forward to it. I hope that we connect and that she is the person I can work through my myriad issues with.

So I'm getting my pre-surgery physical on the 21st, my first appointment with the bariatric center nutritionist on the 26th, and my first appointment with who I HOPE will my my therapist throughout this journey on the 27th.  What a great way to end out the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment