Sunday, December 10, 2017

Time For the Psych Eval

So tomorrow after work I'll be going to get my psychological evaluation. Pretty much anyone who is having bariatric surgery and is going through their health insurance is required to get this. Very few people fail, so I'm not worried about it. 

Though some of the people I've seen in the online communities I've been lurking at SHOULD have failed...I mean, we're talking quack-a-doodle-do!

I am wondering if one psych eval is enough...and thinking that I probably need to consider getting some serious therapy to help deal with the issues that brought me to this point where I'm willing to let them cut out 85% of my stomach to help me finally lose this weight and be a normal-sized person.

Why is food my comfort? Why is food my one main pleasure in life? Why do I have such a twisted relationship with it? Since my earliest memories I've had this real obsession with food. Why have I, more than a few times, eaten to the point of pain, and then while waiting for the pain to subside, plan on what I'm going to eat next?  When I can physically only eat a few bites, will that help me overcome my volume eating tendencies? The first bite is always the best...so can I learn to only desire that first bite, then be satisfied?

This surgery isn't going to sleeve my brain. It's not going to solve the issues that I have, the reasons that I have such a disordered way of relating to food, so I really need to try to figure it out. The surgery will help me to finally become a normal-sized person, but it's going to be all on me to stay that way and develop a normal-sized person's attitude towards food.

No comments:

Post a Comment