Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Tomorrow's the Day

Welp, it's finally arrived. I've been working hard the last 6 months to get here. I've been on my pre-op diet for the last 2 weeks and haven't deviated.  I didn't lose as much as I'd thought I would, and hopefully that's not a sign of what's to come.  I have lost over 40 lbs since I started this journey, so I'm praying it will continue and that I will lose another 110. I'm going to work my ass off to make sure it happens.

TOMORROW I will be sleeved and the best of the rest of my life will begin! 

People are going to judge me and say I'm taking the easy way out and that is nothing but ignorance talking. There is nothing easy about this. And they haven't been in my body for the past 50 years, struggling to lose weight, losing some and then gaining it all back and more. Over and over and over.  I hate hearing from people who have never struggled with their weight "All you have to do is move more and eat less!"  Well, maybe so. IF you have a normal metabolism, which I do not. I have a metabolism that is nearly non-existent, along with metabolic disorder, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, etc. This is my final effort to become a normal weight. To wear normal-sized clothes. To be able to walk and hike and kayak with no difficulty or pain. To be able to EXERCISE and swing kettlebells without pain (other than well-worked muscles).

I am taking this huge drastic step to save my life.

I'm getting stuff done in preparation...clean sheets on the bed (a requirement as I will be using special wipes to wipe my whole body down before going to bed), nighty washed (I'm taking a nighty that almost looks like a dress to do my post-op walking in)...I still haven't packed a bag yet, but that's on the list.  Most important thing to take will be my cell phone and portable battery pack and charger!

I had some stress in getting my prescriptions filled...Rite Aid didn't have the anti-nausea patch and said it couldn't be gotten anywhere in the country...well, they lied, or it's only their suppliers, because it's available almost anywhere else. Plus, I had to have insurance pre-auth for the liquid pain meds...I finally just asked my center to send the scripts to the hospital pharmacy, as it's in my network.

I then went to get a blood draw...the place was shut from noon to 1pm and of course I got there right before noon. So they sent me over to the pediatric lab right next door. I told the phlebotomist that it should be easy-peasy to get the blood from my adult-sized veins. Heheheh, and it was. AND I got a bright yellow Crayon band-aid! 

I'm feeling really nervous and anxious...as well as hopeful and excited. 

Nancy didn't get approved yet. Waaaa! There's something in her psych report that is causing the insurance to hesitate, so unless she gets the approval from them today, she will have to reschedule.  Mine went right through, and I think much of the reason for that is because I've been in therapy for the last 6 months to deal with my eating disorder. No one gets to be morbidly obese unless they have a eating disorder and I want to learn to conquer it. It makes me sad that Nancy wasn't approved.  We've been in this together from the beginning. But I am now friends with another gal from my town (met her at the pre-op nutrition class), and she's getting sleeved tomorrow too!  So at least I'll have someone to walk the halls with and continue this journey with. Maybe they'll put us in the same room!  I'll ask when I check in.

My daughter is going to the hospital with us and will be there for the day. Ken will have to come home once I'm out of recovery so he can take care of Sophie, then he'll come back, but Monica will be with me. I really doubt that I'm going to be very good company, but she wants to be there, so bless her heart.

So I guess this is it. My next blog post will be post-surgery. 



No comments:

Post a Comment